Your kids are going to absolutely love this Valentine’s Day Art Project. Valentine’s Day is also a great time to introduce heart shapes to your little ones as well. With just a few simple steps, you could make this a keepsake, card or framed gift for a loved one.
If you have older children, it’s a great craft project for multiple ages. While this craft may look difficult, it’s simple with our step by step instructions and easy to follow video tutorial. However you decide to showcase your beautiful work of art, it’s memories will last a lifetime.
Valentine’s Day Craft Matericals
While there are a ton of fun Valentine’s Day Crafts out there, this holiday craft is creative, crafty, and clever. In just a few minutes with just a few materials, your child will have a gorgeous masterpiece for display.
- Heart Shape Craft Template
- Bleeding Tissue Paper (different than normal tissue paper)
- Elmers Glue
- White Cardstock
- Black Construction Paper
- Container with water
3D Heart Art Project for Kids
- Print our free Heart Shape Craft Template on white cardstock paper. The paper will get fairly wet, so you’ll want thick paper if possible. Turn over the template so that you are creating it on the backside of the paper.
2. Use water to wet the paper a bit, then add the bleeding tissue paper circles in an overlapping fashion. Think about color choices placed together so that you have colors blending into different complementary colors to help the artwork pop. Check out the first photo above noting the matching color tones.
3. Add water over the top of the circles to confirm they are bleeding the colors onto the paper. Be careful with how much water you are adding — the colors may get washed out a bit or look fuzzy. Use just enough water to transfer. If you’d like to practice, first, try it on scrap paper for a test “run” (pun intended).
4. Once you have the outline filled with tissue paper, set the project aside to dry. To speed up the drying process, grab a blowdryer and set it to “low”.
5. When dry, shake or peel off the tissue paper. Once the tissue paper is removed, the color looks beautiful. Flip your project back over so you can see your gorgeous heart shape outline.
6. Cut out all of the shapes following the black lines so that your heart and L-O-V-E letters are in several pieces. Stay organized as you cut, as you’ll be reassembling the pattern next.
7. It’s time to choose a dark piece of construction paper as your background. Begin laying out each element of the Heart and Letters in their respective order following the picture’s pattern. HINT: Leave space in between each heart pattern — it will help make your 3D Heart Shape POP!
8. Glue all pieces in sequential order as shown above.
That’s it — only 8 simple steps for a gorgeous 3-D Heart Shaped Craft! Now, don’t forget to frame your project to ensure it lasts a lifetime! What a fun Val’s Day decoration to pull out each February season.
If you’d like to scale down this project and create a set of unique Valentine’s Day cards, it’s really simple to do. Just set your printer to print multiple pages per sheet — do a search on “how to print multiple pages per sheet for …” with printer name if you’re unsure. Once you set it up, you’ll have a template that’s perfect for cards of any holiday or occasion.